Saturday, May 19, 2012

What a week!

Wow. What a week. They say it takes a village to raise a child. I always knew it was true, but it's never been quite so apparent in our lives until now.

Last Sunday our surgeon called and said he had a cancelation on Tuesday early morning if we wanted it (instead of Wednesday mid-morning). After a few calls to make sure we could pull it off, we accepted. We are amazingly blessed by our village. I cannot thank each and every one of you enough. Even those of you that we did not have to call upon personally, your positive thoughts and prayers have given us great happiness.

Eric's surgery went beautifully. He went in with a little cough, which was made worse by the anesthetic, so we did have to spend the night when we weren't expecting to. But it's always better to be safe than sorry, so I wasn't bothered at all. Eric has been a champ. Nothing phases my son. And Kaitlyn has been amazing as well. We tried to prepare her to see Eric with bandages and whatnot, but I wasn't sure how she would react to seeing all of that while in the hospital as well. She was wonderful! The best big sister ever!

Now the hard work begins. I almost feel a little like when I did when Eric was first diagnosed. Sort of "Oh my goodness, what do I do now?!". Since getting the implants has been the goal for so long. But step two is activation!! Scheduled for 5/29. This is referred to as a "hearing birthday" because it will be the first time Eric has heard really anything at all. The idea that Eric has never heard anything has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm noticing every tiny noise in my life. Can imagine that? Never having heard anything at all?

1 comment:

  1. Maiah, I am Jeanie Nail married to your uncle Larry. What an amazing family you have and such faith. My prayers are with you and your family and hope all goes well on the "hearing birthday". I will be thinking of Eric and praying that all goes well.

    ReplyDelete